Your Toshiba Fire TV remote will not work if the batteries are dead or have pairing issues with the TV. First, insert the new batteries in the remote to see if it works. If not, press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds and wait 1 minute to pair it with your TV. Read on to learn more troubleshooting methods.
Is your Toshiba Fire TV remote not working? It’s frustrating, but you’re not alone. Over thousands of customers reported this problem.
However, I found some quick fixes for the smart TV remote not working issue.
In this guide, I’ll teach you five easy methods to troubleshoot the Toshiba Fire TV remote to make it work in under 3 minutes.
Why Is My Toshiba Fire TV Remote Not Working?
You can’t watch your favorite movies or shows when your TV remote stops working. However, this problem occurs when your remote batteries are weak/dead or it has a pairing issue with the TV.
In the last couple of months, I have noticed many software glitches on my Toshiba Fire TV, and several times I had to perform a factory reset.
Luckily, a factory reset fixed all the glitches, but I had to pair the remote again every time to make it work.
So, if your Toshiba Fire TV remote is not working after a factory reset, you need to pair your remote again.
Follow these steps to pair the Toshiba Fire TV remote that is not working after the factory reset-
- Unplug the TV power cord from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 30 seconds before plugging again.
- Press the power button to turn on the TV.
- Press and hold the Home button on your TV remote for 10 seconds.
- Again, wait for 1 minute until a pairing sound comes from the TV.
- If your remote doesn’t pair, repeat the same process.
Reasons Why Toshiba Fire TV Remote Not Working
It would be easy to troubleshoot once you find the exact reason why your Toshiba Fire TV remote stops working.
I have mentioned some common reasons for a not working TV remote-
1. Dead Battery
The Toshiba Fire TV remote has two AAA battery that powers the microcontroller. However, the battery drains over time, and the remote stops functioning.
So, replace the batteries and check whether your Fire TV remote starts working. If not, try the other troubleshooting method to make it work.
2. Rusty Terminals
Next, you should inspect the terminal springs for rusting. The battery leaks and terminals catch rust if you don’t regularly replace the batteries.
The rust acts as an insulator and prevents the current flow, which causes your TV remote not to work.
So, remove the batteries and inspect the remote terminals. Now, clean the rust with isopropyl alcohol and insert a new pair of batteries.
3. Pairing Issues
Have you ever performed a factory reset on your Toshiba TV for any reason? This will unpair your remote, and it will stop working.
To make your remote work again, you need to reset your TV remote and pair it again.
Follow these steps to reset your Toshiba Fire TV remote-
- Unplug the TV power cord from the wall outlet.
- Press and hold the Back, Menu, and Left buttons together for 12 to 15 seconds.
- Release the buttons and wait for 5 seconds.
- Remove the remote batteries.
- Plug the TV power cord into the wall outlet and wait until you see the remote can’t be detected.
- Insert the batteries into the remote and press the Home button.
Your Toshiba Fire TV Edition remote has been reset and is now paired with the TV. Press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds if it doesn’t pair.
Follow these steps to pair your Toshiba Fire TV remote-
- Unplug your TV’s power cord from the wall outlet.
- Plug the power cord after 30 seconds.
- Once the TV is powered on, press and hold the Home button on the remote for 10 seconds.
- Wait for the next 60 seconds until a gong sound comes from the TV.
- Repeat the same process if it’s not paired in the first attempt.
The Toshiba Fire TV remote combines infrared (IR) and Bluetooth technology. The power button works on IR, while the rest of the functions use Bluetooth.
There should be no obstructions between your remote and the TV receiver. If any object is on the front panel of the TV, please put that aside.
The wavelength of infrared rays emitted from the TV remote is around 940 nanometers. The theoretical range of a Fire TV remote is approximately 30 feet, but it works best under 12 to 15 feet.
5. Faulty Remote
If you’ve tried everything I explained above, but your remote is still not working, probably it’s time to buy a new remote.
I advise buying a universal remote replacement from Amazon because Universal Remote works with various TV brands.
The replacement remote requires re-pairing with your TV. So, refer to the user manual to learn the pairing process.
Toshiba Fire TV Remote Not Working Only Power Button Works
If you factory reset your TV, all data will be erased, the remote will be unpaired, and you will need to pair it again.
In this case, only the power button will work because it works on IR (Infrared) technology, while the rest of the function works via Bluetooth.
To solve this issue, follow these steps-
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlets.
- Press and hold the TV power button for 30 seconds to drain power from the capacitors.
- Insert the power cord again.
- Hold the Home button on your remote for 10 seconds on the language selection menu.
- Wait for 1 minute until a gong sound comes out from the TV.
- Once your Fire TV remote is paired, you can use all functions.
- Repeat this process until your remote is paired.
Toshiba Fire TV Remote Not Working With New Batteries
If your Toshiba Fire TV remote does not with new batteries, inspect the battery’s manufacturing date. Alkaline batteries lose their power-holding capacity with time and ultimately become waste after 3 to 5 years.
So, if you haven’t checked it’s manufacturing while purchasing, please check and ensure it’s manufactured within six months.
The technical fault could be another reason why your Fire TV remote is not working with new batteries. To fix this, you need to reset your Fire TV remote.
Here are steps to reset the Toshiba Fire TV remote-
- Press and hold the Back, Home, and Left buttons together on your Fire TV remote for 12 seconds.
- Release the button after 12 seconds and wait for the next 5 seconds.
- Pair your remote with Toshiba Fire TV and enjoy your favorite movies or shows.
If you’ve tried everything above and it is still not working, buying a new remote is the last option. You can buy a Toshiba Fire TV replacement remote on Amazon.
How To Pair a New Toshiba Fire TV Remote
If you’ve purchased a Fire TV remote, you need to pair it to your Toshiba smart TV to use it.
The easiest method to pair a new Toshiba Fire TV remote is to press and hold the Home button for 10 to 15 seconds. Wait for the next 60 seconds to let your new remote automatically pair with the TV.
If this doesn’t work, reset your Fire TV remote and pair it manually from the Controllers & Bluetooth Devices settings. You can use your smartphone’s official Fire TV remote app to navigate to Fire TV settings.
How To Fix Toshiba Fire TV Remote Not Pairing
You might face difficulty in pairing your Toshiba Fire TV remote because sometimes minor glitches prevent it. Usually, removing the batteries from the remote and rebooting the TV fixes this problem.
Otherwise, press and hold the Left, Back, and Home buttons together for 12 to 15 seconds to reset your remote and be ready to pair with the TV.
I hope your problem has been fixed and your TV properly functions with the remote. If none of the above solutions works, don’t hesitate to contact the Toshiba customer support team to get it fixed. Do let me know your genuine feedback in the comment box.